of University Studies and Doctoral Research
The Sant'Anna School of University
Studies and Doctoral Research is a public institution for
university whose aims are to promote and advance scientific
Knowledge both through university study and also through doctoral
The Sant'Anna School upholds the time-honoured and illustrious traditions of colleges that preceded it, admitting students of Faculties not present in the Scuola Normale Superiore of Pisa which provides the model for regulations governing the School's teaching activities and community life.
The traditional goal of the School is to train gifted young scholars for scientific research and the teaching profession. An eloquent testimony of this tradition is afforded by the great number of university professors of the University of Pisa and other Italian and foreign universities who are former students of the School. The School also has a longstanding record of devoting particular attention to the labor market as a whole, represented by public bodies and firms, since these, together with an academic career, constitute the natural outlets for its graduates.
Centralino 050/883111 - Fax 050/883225 - Direzione 050/883305
Historical overview of the origins of the School
The Sant'Anna School of University
Studies and Doctoral Research of Pisa was set up in 1987 as a
result of the merger of the School of University Studies and
Doctoral Research with the Sant'Anna Conservatoire.
Both institutions could look back to a venerable tradition of study. The School of University Studies and Doctoral Research can be traced back in its conception, in the fields of discipline of law and medicine, to the Ferdinand I College founded in 1593 at the behest of the Grand Duke to admit students of the Faculties of medicine and law, and to the Puteano College, founded in 1605 by Archbishop Carlo Antonio Dal Pozzo to admit students of the Faculties of medicine, law and philosophy who came from the town of Biella. These institutions were later refounded with the establishment in 1931 of the Mussolini College for Corporative Sciences and the National Medical College in 1932, both of which were linked to the Scuola Normale Superiore. In 1967 these Colleges were detached from the parent institution and merged with the Antonio Pacinotti School for Applied Sciences, which had in the meantime been set up in 1951 to admit students of the Faculties of Agrarian Studies, Economics and Engineering.
The establishment of the School of University Studies and Doctoral Research, ratified by Act of Law, Act No. 117 of 7th. March 1967, thus brought to accomplishment an organic plan of merger of pre-existing institutions, sharing the common aim of training and assisting deserving students and operating in the two broad fields of discipline of the Social Sciences and Applied and Experimental Sciences, composed of the Faculties of Economics, Law and Political Sciences and the Faculties of Agrarian Studies, Engineering and Medicine respectively.
The Sant'Anna Conservatoire was instituted in 1785 for the education of young ladies, by Grand Duke Peter Leopold of Lorraine, on the premises of a thirteenth-century Benedictine cloister for nuns dedicated to St. Anne and the adjacent convent of St. Jerome, formerly occupied by the Gesuate Brothers (1471-1668). The suppression of religious orders (1770-1785) enabled the Grand Duke to accomplish this modification as part of his overall design for the establishment of Conservatoires for young ladies in various towns of the Grand Duchy. Similarly to the other Conservatoires, the Sant'Anna Conservatoire was also placed under the direct governance of the Secretarial Office of the Royal Grand-Ducal Authority and, following Italian unification, of the Ministry of Education.
The Act of I.aw No. 41 of 14th. Feb. 1987 established that the Sant'Anna School of University Studies and Doctoral Research should gather together in a single institution both the School of University Studies and Doctoral Research and the Sant'Anna Conservatoire. These thus jointly gave rise to an institution having status as a recognized legal entity and enjoying administrative autonomy, on the model of the Scuola Normale Superiore which has long been renowned as a school of distinguished learning in the field of arts and sciences.
The birth of the Sant'Anna School of University Studies and Doctoral Research thus provides confirmation of the special vocation of Pisa as the seat of academic institutions on the model of a University college, working side by side and in mutual support with the University of Pisa, as centres for the promotion of scientific knowledge and attracting eminent scholars from every region of Italy and from abroad.
Concessione Pubblicitaria: Anyweb Consulting srl Pisa
Copyright 1996-2014 PisaOnline.it - All rights reserved